Screenly Forum

Does Screenly work on the Raspberry Pi 4?

Version jumps are not always simple in Linux Land.

I’m sure they will come out with a 4 version one day.

If you are in a bad way I could give you a copy of my anonymized image to download it’s 32gb though.

No promises, no warranties.

1 Like

Sadly, I’m likely going to be looking at other RPi solutions other than Screenly… Thanks everyone for your help. :+1:

I have the same problem too. Testing Screenplay OSE on a Raspberry 3B works…but I need more browser functionality and perhaps a 4K resolution. Now the Model 4 is waiting for a test but I could not get it running. The help on GitHub for generating a new image is not easy for me and so I don’t know if I should ditch to another solution.

Why a Rasp 4 ALPHA version is not available for download?

Could someone who understands Github slang please clarify us what goes on here regarding the Pi4 support:
https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/pull/1189

What does the “we can close it without merging” and “Thus this PR makes no sense :)” verdict 4 days ago means in plain English?
Is the problem solved ? ie. Screenly OSE runs on Pi4? If yes why is it not ‘merged’? If not solved, then why is the case ‘closed’. If the issue is ‘solved’, where is, what is the solution so we can all implement it on our Pi4s?
Excuse me my ignorance if it is obvious, but it seems to me many of us can also not figure it out.

1 Like

@miosam, I would like a copy of your image that works with 4. It would make my life at work much easier. I’ve already talked it over with my boss and he pretty much told me to just make it work. We have Screenly on several monitors around our building that are running on 3’s, but this is our first time trying with a 4 and it’s driving me insane. If you’re offering it, I’ll take the chance.

My image quit working soon after posting this, very very odd.

I have been meaning to get back in there and create a new one.

Give me a couple of days.

1 Like

Hi…your git install instructions are predicated on the user having a github account. I ended up just downloading your source and then installing from there.
When I try to submit an asset, I get an Error 500: Internal Server Error. Mayhaps I have a bug in my install because I installed manually, but I’m not sure how to get around this.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. Fist of all would like to thank for great software , I love Screenly, came across Screenly not long ago and I have to say it is so easy to use, love it.
What to put my two cents about getting Screenly on PI4 to work. It is just a workaround and my experiment with PI4, I just though PI4 hardware is more powerful and it will play HD videos better.
So what I did was - get Screenly OSE to work on PI3 and then upgrade PI to buster since PI4 is not going to boot on other distribution. Removed SD card from PI3 and inserted into PI4, it has been working for me couple months, I am not utilizing dual display output just taking advantage of more powerful hardware.

Yeah I’ve seen the benchmarks, Pi4 is powerful…
I dont have a Pi 4 to test, but you mean you updated with this method?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/raspbian/updating.md

Which branch of screenly-ose did you select? production/development/experimental

I followed instructions:

1. In the files /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list , change every use of the word “stretch” to “buster”.
  2. In a terminal,

sudo apt update

and then

sudo apt dist-upgrade

1. Wait for the upgrade to complete, answering ‘yes’ to any prompt. There may also be a point at which the install pauses while a page of information is shown on the screen – hold the ‘space’ key to scroll through all of this and then hit ‘q’ to continue.
  2. The update will take anywhere from half an hour to several hours, depending on your network speed. When it completes, reboot your Raspberry Pi.
  3. When the Pi has rebooted, launch ‘Appearance Settings’ from the main menu, go to the ‘Defaults’ tab, and press whichever ‘Set Defaults’ button is appropriate for your screen size in order to load the new UI theme.
  4. Buster will have installed several new applications which we do not support. To remove these, open a terminal window and

sudo apt purge timidity lxmusic gnome-disk-utility deluge-gtk evince wicd wicd-gtk clipit usermode gucharmap gnome-system-tools pavucontrol

Works fine on 16gb Sandinsk Ultra SD card.

Hi, im trying Rpi 4 with Screenly and i’m getting this error which i’m not getting on RPI 3b+ with same versions.
I cannot add any video, no matter which extension, codec, etc. I can add images.
Any idea?

06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) Traceback (most recent call last):
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) File “server.py”, line 690, in api_view
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) return view(*args, **kwargs)
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask_restful_swagger_2/swagger.py”, line 219, in inner
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) return f(self, *args, **kwargs)
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) File “server.py”, line 1019, in post
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) asset = prepare_asset_v1_2(request_environ, unique_name=True)
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) File “server.py”, line 553, in prepare_asset_v1_2
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) asset[‘duration’] = int(get_video_duration(uri).total_seconds())
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) File “/data/screenly/lib/utils.py”, line 184, in get_video_duration
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) run_player = ffprobe(’-i’, file, _err_to_out=True)
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) NameError: global name ‘ffprobe’ is not defined

1 Like

do you have ffmpeg package installed?
dpkg -l | grep -i ffmpeg

i’m sure there is some package situation going on… does the rpi4 and rpi3 have the same version of raspbian?

Could anyone port screenly on Raspberry pi 4 successfully?

I have the same issue, I tried writing OSE image from sprint 10.1 with balena Etcher and splash screen did not show up…

then tried option 2 with NOOBS installation and there was no Option available on installation screen for screenly…

at the end, I tried really DIY optine 3 and installed raspbian os full latest release and then with the command run bash and the script (bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh)), tried answering questions with different NO and Yes combination installation and it did not work either…

I really need to have screenly on Rpi4, any suggestion what should I do? or any work around?
When the fix will be available? kindly ask contributor to help us;
otherwise, I have no choice except finding another solution and I think there is no better free on-premise solution better than screenly

During package installation I get this Error…
rpi4 screenly-error
Hardware: 64 GB microSDcard
Screenly: sprint 10.1—2020-07-17-Screenly-OSE.zip

I also checked check-sum of the downloaded file, it was not corrupt.

@docent31
could you please share with us working image that installed on ur rPi4?
I need it badly for my project. I tried all Options and still not working and do not have rPi3 to test ur solution…for rPi4 it need buster OS…

tnx in advance!

@jsal
Did you give this fork a try since someone else said it worked for them?
https://github.com/ealmonte32/screenly-ose/blob/master/bin/install.sh

Just use the same bash curl method you used to install official repo.
Need more users to confirm that this works on rpi4, that is why I am suggesting it, thanks.

This work is being tracked here:

The tl;dr is that yes, it works…mostly, but you will need to do a manual installation on Buster and select the ‘developer version’ for this to work.

I had to remove the apt-get purge for docker, then it worked for me.

running on a RPi4

Hi everyone,

I’ve been spending a lot of cycles in the last few weeks on trying to get Pi 4 support working. Unfortunately this work is deeply entangled/blocked by other changes.

If you want to get Pi 4 support, I could definitely need a hand. The big remaining tasks are tracked here.

When we’re done, we’ll be able to get things like:

• A modern browser based on a recent version of WebEngine (the engine in Chrome/Chromium) that should be able to render most modern websites.
  • Hardware acceleration in the browser (something that we couldn’t get in Uzbl).
  • Simpler installation thanks to full dockerization.

For the fellow geeks who wants to get their hands dirty with some bleeding edge tech, the QT build process is using the latest Docker technologies, such as multi-stage builds and multi-platform.

Just an update here. Yes, Screenly OSE does now support the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. We don’t have a disk image yet as we are still ironing out bugs.

To to get Screenly OSE working on the Pi 4, do the following:

• Download Raspbian Buster Lite (or better, use the Raspberry Pi Imager)
  • Enable ssh (either manually or creating a file called ssh on the boot partition)
  • ssh into the Raspberry Pi and run bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh) and select the Developer/Master branch