Blank screen and unstable image switch in Balena install with rPi4

Hi,

I just setup an install of Screenly OSE in Balena using a rPi4:

• Balena supervisor: 14.4.4
  • rPi4 (64bit)
  • balena push was done docker-compose.balena.yml using latest-pi4 tag

The setup worked fine from a software perspective, I can access the settings page using the public or local URL, upload the assets, define the schedule and the logs in balena are clean (even with debug mode enabled):

srly-ose-viewer  Current url is /data/screenly_assets/cd2ca76f06334a388e75a6dbfc741d62.png
 srly-ose-viewer  Sleeping for 10
 srly-ose-viewer  Showing asset getready.png (image)
 srly-ose-viewer  Current url is /data/screenly_assets/51d5f0f15dd944c3b4382a682b4b0fce.png
 srly-ose-viewer  Showing asset makeyourowrkout.png (image)
 srly-ose-viewer  Current url is /data/screenly_assets/cb260bd524454c39b96df37f512d6cbb.png
 srly-ose-viewer  Showing asset plans.png (image)
 srly-ose-viewer  Current url is /data/screenly_assets/cd2ca76f06334a388e75a6dbfc741d62.png
 srly-ose-viewer  Showing asset getready.png (image)
 srly-ose-viewer  Current url is /data/screenly_assets/51d5f0f15dd944c3b4382a682b4b0fce.png

However, the problem is that the display of images is very inconsistent. Sometimes the display show the image, sometimes show a blank screen, sometimes the image is too stretched and partially loaded. Webpages always show a blank screen instead of the pages. I tried with different TVs and the behavior is the same.

Is there anything I could do to debug this problem better?
Do the assets used needs to have specific formats or size? (I’m using pngs)

Thank you!

Can you try making the time the asset is active longer? try 60 seconds each, again just for testing purposes.

Hi,

Yes, I’ve set 60 secs and also tried setting only one asset only and the problem still persists.

One time I tested 2 webpages, one very lightweight (no images) and a landing page of my company. Only the lightweight one worked.

Thank you

Sorry since I know there is some work being done on balena side, I wont comment any further, I would suggest if possible, install screenly via bash script on a raspbian bullseye lite image, it should work perfectly fine.

Fair enough, thanks for your response. I’ll try without balena.