Cookie notification on websites

Hi there, this is my first question here. I’m currently trying Screenly OSE on my Raspberry Pi 3B, planning a digital signate solution for a football club. I want, among other things, to show a website with latest results. So far it works great, besides that the WiFi connection is a bit slow when loading a website. But there is another issue that’s bothering me much more. I think all of you know, when loading a website for the first time, these notifications (mostly) on the bottom of the screen where you have to click OK to explain that you agree to using cookies on the page you are visting. I have this notification every time when displaying a website and I have no idea how to get rid of it. Not only is it disturbing to look at, it also hides part of the information I want to show. I have a mouse and a keyboard connected to the Raspberry, but obviously cannot use it. Does anyone have an idea how to disable these cookie notifications? I am aware that this has not much to do with Screenly OSE itself, but I’d nevertheless be thankful for a solution.
Thanks for reading!

1 Like

Did you see this thread: CSS and DIV Parsing/Page Rendering
It might be worth pursuing a solution with the browser communities themselves…?

I have the same problem, there seems to be no general solution because cookie warnings are not standardized. Maybe some AI coding could recognize them and remove before they get rendered, but it is not a task suited for a $35 machine.
(Btw. this cookie law is the most stupid thing ever happened to internet, I can’t understand why there is no outcry at all from people against this insanity, I have to click away these pesky things at least 15-20 times/day during normal browsing, and it has very little regarding saving us from being followed) There are even autoclicker add-ons for browsers that autoremove cookie-warnings, these work with large online databases where these cookie warnings pop-ups’ parameters are stored on a per website basis, These very clever lawmakers could have at least do some standardization, we have millions of cookie warnings different in the design, placement and programming. I would oblige these lawmakers to click cookie warnings all day.)

Regarding Screenly what I tried to do is the following. Please note, this approach works only with a particular website, you have to hard-code it per website: you have to look-up in the html the div’s id that contains the cookie, so it is not a general cookie warning removal technique.

• Be sure to use the QtWebKit version ie. ‘experimental’ version of Screenly

• Add as asset your own html file with a javascript that loads the required whole webpage in a div,
    <div id="siteloader"></div> (you have to css style this to cover all the screen or as you like)
    add a script to load your site into this div:
    function load_site() {
    document.getElementById(“siteloader”).innerHTML=’ < object type=“text/html” data=" http : // yoursite.com " ></ object>’; }
    (I added some extra spaces to calm down this forum’s injected code removal)

• add another javascript function that fires after the page loaded, then finds and deletes the div with the cookie thing using getElementById and setting innerHTML to empty.
    (another option would be to programmatically click the consent button, it is not difficult either)

You can try all this out on jsfiddle.net or a similar testing site before feeding it to your Raspberry, be sure not to use JQuery plain javascript will do to keep it tidy.

This approach worked for me with various results with different sites, you may be lucky with your site. Another problem with this. that it looks ugly, that the cookie thing appears for a moment before gets deleted.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your constructive answer. I really appreciate this. And I couldn’t more agree with you that those cookie warnings are complete bullshit.
However, the proposed solution may work well, but I won’t try it out (not your fault, of course!). If this is the only solution which works with Screenly, the I’d rather find another way to show my contents and pages. In the meantime I tried a few other digital signage solutions and now I’m stick with foyer, a wordpress plugin which works great. It has rather few options and is not very flexible, but perfectly adequate for my purposes.
So thanks again and perhaps your suggestion may help some other people.

The “stupid” law as you said, IS stupid. The entire point of the law is the same as the “caution Hot” on the side of take away coffee cups. Because too many people don’t understand that EVERY website has cookies. A bunch of lawmakers in Europe realized that EVERY website left tracking cookies. So they decided that they needed to be notified. And in theory you have to agree to these before they leave cookies on your machine. In practice, it does nothing but annoy us. As for standardization? Good luck…

Hi,

add another javascript function that fires after the page loaded, then finds and deletes the div with the cookie thing using getElementById and setting innerHTML to empty.

Sounds good. But - correct me if I’m wrong - is it possible to walk across the embedded object by using getElementById??? Works not for me.

In Chrome I tried some console commands without results - e.g.

• document.getElementById(‘siteloader’).children[0].children
  • document.getElementById(‘siteloader’).children[0].length
  • document.getElementById(‘siteloader’).children[0].innerHTML