Anthias White screen on certain kinds of websites, Screenly OSE still working

Hi Everyone.

We have a few Raspberry Pi 3’s running the older version of Screenly OSE working nicely but we had to buy a Raspberry Pi 4 due to shortages, there was only the development version I think at the time, for the RPi4 so I don’t have an image of the older Screenly for it.
When trying to use Anthias on the RPi 4 it’s a bit of a struggle, the only way I can get it to successfully install is by using the OS install from the imager and then run the .sh install, which is fine, but once it does run it doesn’t display our internal notification pages anymore.
Anthias just displays a white screen, the pages are built using WordPress, I didn’t build them so I can’t speak to what’s going on there but there were basically built to size and display correctly with Screenly OSE, and they do so well still.
Most other web pages do display correctly, so maybe this is something to do with how WordPress dishes things out?
There is also another page we have running on CivicPlus, that tries to load for a second but goes to white screen as well, I have no idea what they are using on the back end.
I have test just running chromium as an auto launch on the latest Raspi OS and it works well to display the pages but the framing is all wrong as it was tweaked to work on Screenly OSE and whatever it uses to display those pages.

I’d rather use Anthias but if I can’t get it to work is there a way to fall back to whatever webviewer the older Screenly releases were using?
Manually install it perhaps?
I can see the Qt5 webviewer releases in there but have no idea how to utilize them in anyway.
If it’s possible to install just the older webviewer components on an install of Raspi Lite or something, without the webserver, that would be cool, we just need the ability to display the page and not the GUI necessarily.

Cheers.

Hey Plantdood,

we do have a possible same issue.
The solution for us was to set a fixed width on the website.
Here you have to be careful, because View Height and View Width can override this. (This was also our problem)
So we set the whole document to HD - resolution and worked only with height and width : 100% instead of 100vh or 100wh.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

1 Like

Wow I have the exact same problem, even down to it being built with wordpress.

Hey Nocx, how did you find that problem? our site uses beaver builder, so setting the page to a specific width isn’t the easiest thing in the world. I think I got it but i was wondering what method you used.

ok, so here is what i did, and I’m pretty sure it worked.

I’m just displaying a gallery slideshow on a single page, but I set the gallery to have a unique ID and then set the width with manual css. Looks like it works now, but ill keep you in the loop if it doesn’t.

1 Like

I only found the problem because I included an image (url to an image) which had a size specified as a parameter. This worked great.
When I removed the sizeparameter, I also got a white screen on the image.
So I looked what dimensions the image had. It was above the HD dimensions. Therefore, I have also tried this on the websites.
This means fixed sizes on the page and avoided VH and VW in CSS.

This worked after that

I’m having the exact issue on a clean install of Anthias, both from Raspbian lite and the prebuilt image, using the default assets. Each page renders for a split second, then goes white except for hackernews.
This also occurs when trying to upload images.

What kind of display are you using? Is it like a large 4K TV?
Haven’t experienced the issue on smaller displays. Just experienced it on larger ones.

In the lab, it’s a 4k 27 inch monitor. We are intending to deploy to 4k UHD tvs, but haven’t been able to validate with our test set up yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @cyrus. Seems that Anthias only works smoother on smaller (like 1080 FHD) displays. It was able to play some images (those with lower resolutions). We’ll be implementing a fix for this in the future. Do you have smaller displays that can be used in the meantime?

Unfortunately not. I’ll look into another solution for the time being.

Any workaround on this? I’m also trying to use Anthias on RPi 4 with a Samsung QM55R 4K to show an URL, but it works for a few seconds when it starts then goes to white screen. The problem doesn’t appear on smaller resolution screens.

I have the same problem with 1080p monitor.
I present a local webpage created by an OEE system. And its just a white screen. Would be nice to solve this problem. Some webpages are working just fine.