502 Bad Gateway after upgrade

Hello

I’m having trouble with a Screenly OSE install on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B - was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?

It’s been running fine for a long time but today I made the mistake of upgrading to the latest (stable) version (via SSH) and the web interface is now broken (I just get 502 bad gateway).

I’ve upgraded to the latest development version and get the same issue. Also upgraded PIP. I’ve basically just been throwing things at it to see what sticks as I don’t really know how to troubleshoot it despite a lot of googling.

I tried journalctl - it says no journal files were found.

/var/log/nginx/error.log just says stuff like

2021/11/04 10:51:25 [error] 836#0: *13 connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client: 192.168.1.103, server: , request: “GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1”, upstream: “http://127.0.0.1:8080/favicon.ico”, host: “192.168.1.29”, referrer: “http://192.168.1.29/

I’m not sure if this means there’s a misconfiguration, since pre-upgrade I’ve always connected to the web interface on port 80 but it looks like internally nginx is trying to connect to localhost:8080 and being refused.

Prior to the dev update, I think it was actually playing content fine, but now it just seems to be a black screen so I’ve completely killed it.

Can anyone provide suggestions? Of course this is the one time I didn’t back up the SD card… there’s a lot of content on there so I’d like to recover it to a working state if I possibly can.

Thanks in advance!

So, by some sheer fluke I seem to have got it working again…

I downgraded from the development branch to stable again, and while that was running I noticed a dependency mismatch / non supported version. So I did a pip install -upgrade requests after the installer finished, and rebooted. All of a sudden it’s playing media and the web interface works.

It does say there’s an upgrade available but now I’m nervous to do it! Course I’ll take a backup this time…