Can't display Java Script Objects

I’m trying to use Screenly to display a couple of energy monitoring dashboards eg.

http://emoncms.org/beehive/live

https://emoncms.org/dashboard/view?id=53275

The dynamic javascript elements of the page are not displayed. I’ve tried the standard SD card image and installing the experimental branch but neither approach worked. Is there anything else I can try?

Is there a way to view any client side java script errors? I’m one of the developers of Emoncms, we aim to make Emoncms compatible with all browsers, maybe there is something we can improve to enable Screenly integration. I think Screently looks like a really nice way to present different dashboards on a public display.

Well, these dashboards would work on the commercial version of screenly, but if you need to see what the errors are, you can install screenly-ose and use VNC viewer to control the screen on the Pi and right click on the page and inspect the errors/console.

This sort of topic was mentioned here:

@ealmonte32 Do you know why this works on the commercial production, but not the open source/Balena version?

Just curious if this issue has a plan to be resolved, or if there is a particular reason this doesn’t work. Thank you!

Hello,
This is because the commercial version of Screenly does not use the same source code as the open-source version, thus many things would fully work on commercial and not on open-source one.

Thank you for the reply!

I guess that is just kind of disheartening to hear from a company that has a lot of publicity around being open-source… Anyways, I decided to do the math and see if using the commercial version would be viable, and it could be for my project. But when I tried the free trial the system did not display my content correctly at all, so I believe I am going to cut my losses and move on from this nightmare.

Thank you again for your time, and I wish you all the best of luck!

@vpetersson
This user reports that the commercial version trial did not display his content properly… and had a hard time. Just thought maybe you wanted to chime in?

@rjoel Could you provide some more details on the content that you were unable to display? Ideally a demo version.

Also, feel free to reach out to the support team directly at support.screenly.io for the commercial version.