How do I rotate the screen? Raspberry Pi 4 B (Raspberry Pi OS Lite 32bit)

my environment:
Raspberry Pi OS Lite
Release date: February 21st 2023
System: 32-bit
Kernel version: 5.15
Debian version: 11 (bullseye)

The monitor I’m using is a TV

I have tried the following. but i haven’t solved it yet

1. /boot/config.txt
    display_rotate
    display_hdmi_rotate

I tried setting 1 to 4, but it is not reflected.

1. command of cui
    DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI-1 --rotate right
    DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI-1 --rotate left
    DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI-1 --rotate inverted
    DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI-1 --rotate normal

This was also unexecutable because there was no command.

1. /boot/cmdline.txt
    Rotate Screen on Pi4 - RetroPie Forum
    video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60,rotate=90

Console screen rotated successfully.
But images of anthias failed to rotate.

Is it possible to rotate the screen in Anthias on Raspberry Pi 4 B (OS Lite environment)?
I would like to know the solution.

The raspberry Pi4 defaults to using the fkms video driver, which doesn’t properly support rotation. Edit /boot/config.txt, and comment out the “dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d” line. Also add “display_rotate=3”
and “display_hdmi_rotate=3” (I’m not sure if you need both). Reboot. The Pi4 should come up on the legacy video driver (which I think does not support the second hdmi port), and obey the normal config.txt rotation entries.

Note, everything above is for the normal console. Once you enter X windows, then xrandr can change the rotation.

@koukkou koukkou
Did you figure it out? I’m having the very same issues you’ve described

Today I did spend better part of the day elaborating with screen rotation (portrait mode) and I failed. With commands above I was able to rotate the linux part of booting process. I was able to see the Anthias logo rotated (270 degree).
Once the Anthias was trying to start and load the content/asset , screen has been flickering and it crashed. Rotation returned back to the previous landscape mode, content of the /config.txt with my modes has been erased to default.
I was not able to make it work no matter what.
Is it because of Raspberry Pi 4 B ? I’m reading all over this forum that people are running hundreds of screens in portrait mode and it’s working for them… how?

I’ve created my SDcard using Raspberry Pi Imager, selecting Other OS specific and choosing Anthias OS for Pi 4.

Please, can someone point me the right direction? I red everything that was related to Pi4 screen rotation, nothing seems to help in combination with Anthias.
Thank you

1 Like

OK, i’m sick of this…
Is here someone that is able to help with a portrait mode (display_rotate=1) ?

No matter what I do , i’m not able to rotate the Anthias presentation. It behave exactly how I described in previous post.

I even bought a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and replicated all the steps with the very same results. No matter what I do, its imposible to rotate Anthias to portrait mode

PS: I’ve tried all the choices using Pi Imager, OS lite 64bit + anthias additional installation using bash command as well as OS Specific purposes > Anthias (pi4) …

Thank you

Did you ever solve this? I’m having the same problem…