Unable to add youtube videos

Hi there

I am getting the following error message when trying to add any youtube video

Server Error: Command '[‘youtube-dl’, ‘-e’, u’https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr9eAtwcYlo’]’ returned non-zero exit status 1

any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

I was facing the same issue lately - looks like the youtube downloader in screenly OSE is outdated.

Check out:
https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/blob/master/README.md#installation

sudo -H pip install --upgrade youtube-dl and a reboot fixed it for me.

Cheers,
Albert

That sounds like the proper soloution, @akimdarov. I imagine that “youtube-dl” is essentially playing Whac-A-Mole with the YouTube team. YouTube blocks them and “youtube-dl” works around it.

sorted it now i reimaged the sd card with the latest version and all is good now

Thanks for your help chaps

Hi I am having issues again downloading any YouTube videos now, any ideas?

My money would be on that it’s either an outdated youtube-dl or a broken SD card. I’d suggest starting a fresh with a new SD card and the latest developer version.

use 4kdownloader (google it to find their site) to grab the video from YT and then upload it as a regular video. Never have to deal with YT whackamole again. Note, that a lot of videos require you to log into YT (google) and 4KDL has the ability to do that in settings. it has a 99% success rate if you do this.

Hello,
I installed a fresh copy of raspbian (based on Debian Bullseye).
I then installed Anthias following the command mentioned in this link.
Which is:

$ bash <(curl -sL https://install-anthias.srly.io)

After installation, Anthias came up. I access it via web, yet I can’t download from youtube.
If I drop a youtube URL into the Add Asset modal,
I get a modal (pop-up) stating:

Server Error: Command ‘[‘youtube-dl’, ‘-e’, ‘ht tp s://w ww.youtu be.c om/watch?v=1234’]’ returned non-zero exit status 1.

Any idea what I can try?
I tried updating youtube-dl with the command mentioned above:

sudo -H pip install --upgrade youtube-dl

Yet it did not work.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

So from what I have gathered, the program youtube-dl hasn’t gotten a new release since December 2021 (over a year as of today 2023-03-14).

The alternative is the program yt-dlp, which is a close fork.
The installation instructions for yt-dlp are here.

Yet, the Anthias program still calls on youtube-dl.
I installed yt-dlp.
Then inside /usr/local/bin, I had two binaries:
youtube-dl
and
yt-dlp.

I copied yt-dlp over youtube-dl inside /usr/local/bin.

Now, if I call
youtube-dl --version
I get a 2023.03.04 version (because it really is yt-dlp).

Yet Anthias via web-browser still fails with the error pop-up (modal):

Server Error: Command ‘[‘youtube-dl’, ‘-e’, ‘ht tp s://w ww.youtu be.c om/watch?v=1234’]’ returned non-zero exit status 1.

Any idea how I can upgrade the youtube-dl that Anthias uses?

Thank you!

Hi, @greenBucket! Maybe the old youtube-dl binary is still being recognized. The youtube-dl binary is currently installed via pip. You can check out the requirements file at requirements/requirements.txt.

youtube-dl>=2021.12.17

What you can do is…

Feel free to create a PR if you’d like.