Watchdog timer or automated restart for raspberry pi running anthias?

Greetings,

I have a few Raspberry pi 3s running anthias showing a website infinitely and I am having an issue where after a few days of running the screen goes white. I installed the Anthias Pi 3 image using the official Pi imager.

I would like to know if and how I could configure the raspberry pi to restart periodically (daily at 2am for example).

or

Is there a ‘watchdog’ within Anthias or the pi OS that could force a restart if it detects an abnormality? I am very new to raspberry pi and I don’t know if and how to configure this type of thing to run in parallel to anthias.

Any help would be really appreciated :slight_smile: thanks

@danny,

I haven’t looked closely if there’s something like a watchdog in Anthias.
The Anthias Pi 3 image is based on BalenaOS. I’ll let you know when I get back to this one and get insights.

Have you tried installing Anthias on a Pi 3 running RPi OS Lite? With Raspberry Pi OS Lite, you can have more control. For instance, you can SSH to it from your terminal emulator.

You can try it on an RPi OS Lite instance first, then get the logs, should this issue persist again. Please don’t hesitate to drop a question if you’ve technical roadblocks and whatnot. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

No I haven’t tried installing Anthias on any other OS. To be honest I’m not sure if I have the ability to do it yet. I’m extremely new to raspberry pi and come from an arduino background. So have no idea what I’m doing with pi. Definitely willing to learn and I really appreciate the guidance.

Thanks

@danny, sorry that I haven’t gotten back to you for a while.

• To get started, download and install the Raspberry Pi Imager here.
  • Once opened, click the Choose OS button.
  • Select Raspberry Pi OS (other).
  • Click Choose Storage and select the microSD card that you’d like to be flashed with the RPi OS Lite.
  • Select either Raspberry Pi OS Lite (32-bit) or Raspberry Pi OS Lite (64-bit).
  • If you’d like to customize the settings, click on the gear icon :gear: on the bottom right side of the window. Feel free to customize options like the hostname, whether to use password or passwordless SSH authentication, username, and password.
  • Once ready, remove the microSD card from your computer and put it inside your Raspberry Pi.
  • Once the device opens up, you can SSH to it and run the following commands to install Anthiasbash <(curl -sL https://install-anthias.srly.io). Select Yes (Y) for all prompts. The process will take a while.
  • After the installation, it’s recommended to to a reboot.

After the reboot, you can check the logs by running the following:

cd ~/screenly
docker compose logs -f

If you’d like to view the logs of a specific component only, run docker compose logs -f $CONTAINER_NAME. For instance, docker compose logs -f anthias-viewer.

I hope this helps.

We were having a similar issue with the website getting stuck, this was hosted on a WordPress sever locally. Solved it by creating another page that was on screen for only 10 seconds before cycling back to the main page for an extended amount of time.
If it’s not the Pi crashing but more of a web browser issue then something similar may help.

@Plantdood, thanks for sharing your similar experiences. Are you using the image provided in the Releases page of the Anthias repo?