Slide Transitions

Hello Screenly OSE community!

I was wondering if any of you have had any luck making smooth transitions between slides?

Normally when you upload image assets and set them to be on, Screenly just hard cuts from one to the other. I believe I understand that the paid version has slide transitions, but I didn’t know if anyone had figured anything out for OSE.

I have tried making a Google Slides show and adding it in with both the “publish” and the “embed” links. However, Screenly’s web browser does not appear to support the slide transitions. It works fine in Google Chrome and in an incognito window. But when Screenly loads the page, the transitions are gone.

The only thing I have gotten to work is making a slide show in Powerpoint or Google Slides and creating a screen recording of the slide show with the transitions. Uploading to Screenly then, of course, just plays the whole thing as a video. However, this method does not allow easily making tweaks to the content as you would have to re-record and upload the entire slideshow.

Please let me know if anyone else has any ideas or ways to do transitions!

Thank you!

I’ve used Google Picasa to create a video from a slide collection.
With Picasa you can select from a variety of transitions and set timing between slides.
Hope this helps!

Oh man.

Google Picasa is a name I haven’t heard in years! I thought it had been killed off by Google Photos.

But the reason I’m trying to avoid making videos is because my use case is essentially about 15 meeting rooms at a convention.
There is a different meeting every hour for each room. I want to transition between one static slide, and one slide that informs what is going on in the room.
That means making a video for every hour for every rom. Which for a 10 hour day is 150 videos that have to be made.

The video making process just adds so much extra overhead to the amount of time it takes to set up and takes up so much more space. I’m just trying to find some other way to add transitions. It seems like it should be simple…

Thanks for the suggestion!

@colwellkr
the browser screenly-ose production/development branch use is very old, called uzbl, the experimental branch of screenly-ose might help you with this since it uses QT webview instead, so you should give it a try… do you know how to do this? if not, the github page has many cases where people ask the same and are given instructions on doing so…

Thanks for the tip on the new browser! Looks like I can just run the Screenly install script on and standard Raspian install and select the flag to use the experimental branch.

I’ll give it a shot and see if the Google Slides transitions work. Thanks!

@ealmonte32

I flashed a new image of Raspbian Lite and installed Screenly OSE Experimental on it. Looks like the Google Slide transitions are still not working. I’ve tested the exact same link in Google Chrome and the transitions work just fine. Is there a way to switch screenly over to something Chromium based?

Thanks.