Screenly Forum

Does Screenly work on the Raspberry Pi 4?

I was on the verge of ordering 4 pi 3B+'s for the project I am working on with 3 synchronised screens running screenly.

1. I read the Pi4 has some issues. Do any of these issues hinder Screenly? (ie, can I just run a screenly image for these pi4’s?)
  2. As the Pi4 has dual screen support, can I run 2 screenly instances, 1 for each screen?
  3. If either of the above is answered with a ‘no’, is there a timescale when support can be expected. Expecially for 1) I am willing to wait 1 or 2 weeks, otherwise I have to get the old 3B+'s anyway.

I read the Pi4 has some issues. Do any of these issues hinder Screenly? (ie, can I just run a screenly image for these pi4’s?)

There’s no built-in support for synchronized play. We’ve seen some people trying this with various hacks, but we have no official support for it.

As the Pi4 has dual screen support, can I run 2 screenly instances, 1 for each screen?

That’s not supported yet. Maybe in the future.

If either of the above is answered with a ‘no’, is there a timescale when support can be expected. Expecially for 1) I am willing to wait 1 or 2 weeks, otherwise I have to get the old 3B+'s anyway.

It’s a community project. Hence it really comes down to if someone writes the support for it.

My new Raspberry Pi 4 (2GB version) has just arrived today . One word first impression: faaasssst! :smile:

I installed Raspbian Buster Lite on it and tried the to install Screenly with the
bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh) command, it went thru it seemingly without any problem, however I did not catch all the colored warnings. (We have them with RPi 3 also)

Unfortunaly this out-of-the-box install of Screenly does not start on reboot. I would appreciate any clue what to look at to make it run.

(Of course I am not looking for dual screen support, the same operation as on RPi 3 but on a faster hardware would be fine for now.)

Sorry that my question apears to be unclear. I already have the synchronisation in place (API calls from Screenly or other software (screen synchronising)) but mainly does it work. I see the answer of Matrix, and I conclude it does not run on boot (answer to my 1st question) and I gather from you that there are no options to have 2 instances of screenly running at this time, nor are they currently planned.

Thanks you for your answers.

Thank you for the quick review. I will hold back for a little while to see if you can get it to run on boot. Please advice us if it is solved.

I gather from you that there are no options to have 2 instances of screenly running at this time, nor are they currently planned.

It’s not on the immediate roadmap, but it partially comes down to support in upstream software (such as omxplayer). Without that, we won’t be able to add support for it. That said, we will experiment with it, but we will commit to any timeline.

Here’s the ticket for adopting Raspberry Pi 4 support: https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/issues/1187