Does Screenly work on the Raspberry Pi 4?

I followed instructions:

1. In the files /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list , change every use of the word “stretch” to “buster”.
  2. In a terminal,

sudo apt update

and then

sudo apt dist-upgrade

1. Wait for the upgrade to complete, answering ‘yes’ to any prompt. There may also be a point at which the install pauses while a page of information is shown on the screen – hold the ‘space’ key to scroll through all of this and then hit ‘q’ to continue.
  2. The update will take anywhere from half an hour to several hours, depending on your network speed. When it completes, reboot your Raspberry Pi.
  3. When the Pi has rebooted, launch ‘Appearance Settings’ from the main menu, go to the ‘Defaults’ tab, and press whichever ‘Set Defaults’ button is appropriate for your screen size in order to load the new UI theme.
  4. Buster will have installed several new applications which we do not support. To remove these, open a terminal window and

sudo apt purge timidity lxmusic gnome-disk-utility deluge-gtk evince wicd wicd-gtk clipit usermode gucharmap gnome-system-tools pavucontrol

Works fine on 16gb Sandinsk Ultra SD card.

Hi, im trying Rpi 4 with Screenly and i’m getting this error which i’m not getting on RPI 3b+ with same versions.
I cannot add any video, no matter which extension, codec, etc. I can add images.
Any idea?

06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) Traceback (most recent call last):
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) File “server.py”, line 690, in api_view
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) return view(*args, **kwargs)
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask_restful_swagger_2/swagger.py”, line 219, in inner
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) return f(self, *args, **kwargs)
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) File “server.py”, line 1019, in post
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) asset = prepare_asset_v1_2(request_environ, unique_name=True)
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) File “server.py”, line 553, in prepare_asset_v1_2
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) asset[‘duration’] = int(get_video_duration(uri).total_seconds())
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) File “/data/screenly/lib/utils.py”, line 184, in get_video_duration
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) run_player = ffprobe(‘-i’, file, _err_to_out=True)
06.05.20 11:48:43 (-0300) NameError: global name ‘ffprobe’ is not defined

1 Like

do you have ffmpeg package installed?
dpkg -l | grep -i ffmpeg

i’m sure there is some package situation going on… does the rpi4 and rpi3 have the same version of raspbian?

Could anyone port screenly on Raspberry pi 4 successfully?

I have the same issue, I tried writing OSE image from sprint 10.1 with balena Etcher and splash screen did not show up…

then tried option 2 with NOOBS installation and there was no Option available on installation screen for screenly…

at the end, I tried really DIY optine 3 and installed raspbian os full latest release and then with the command run bash and the script (bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh)), tried answering questions with different NO and Yes combination installation and it did not work either…

I really need to have screenly on Rpi4, any suggestion what should I do? or any work around?
When the fix will be available? kindly ask contributor to help us;
otherwise, I have no choice except finding another solution and I think there is no better free on-premise solution better than screenly

During package installation I get this Error…
rpi4 screenly-error
Hardware: 64 GB microSDcard
Screenly: sprint 10.1—2020-07-17-Screenly-OSE.zip

I also checked check-sum of the downloaded file, it was not corrupt.

@docent31
could you please share with us working image that installed on ur rPi4?
I need it badly for my project. I tried all Options and still not working and do not have rPi3 to test ur solution…for rPi4 it need buster OS…

tnx in advance!

@jsal
Did you give this fork a try since someone else said it worked for them?
https://github.com/ealmonte32/screenly-ose/blob/master/bin/install.sh

Just use the same bash curl method you used to install official repo.
Need more users to confirm that this works on rpi4, that is why I am suggesting it, thanks.

This work is being tracked here:

The tl;dr is that yes, it works…mostly, but you will need to do a manual installation on Buster and select the ‘developer version’ for this to work.

I had to remove the apt-get purge for docker, then it worked for me.

running on a RPi4

Hi everyone,

I’ve been spending a lot of cycles in the last few weeks on trying to get Pi 4 support working. Unfortunately this work is deeply entangled/blocked by other changes.

If you want to get Pi 4 support, I could definitely need a hand. The big remaining tasks are tracked here.

When we’re done, we’ll be able to get things like:

• A modern browser based on a recent version of WebEngine (the engine in Chrome/Chromium) that should be able to render most modern websites.
  • Hardware acceleration in the browser (something that we couldn’t get in Uzbl).
  • Simpler installation thanks to full dockerization.

For the fellow geeks who wants to get their hands dirty with some bleeding edge tech, the QT build process is using the latest Docker technologies, such as multi-stage builds and multi-platform.

Just an update here. Yes, Screenly OSE does now support the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. We don’t have a disk image yet as we are still ironing out bugs.

To to get Screenly OSE working on the Pi 4, do the following:

• Download Raspbian Buster Lite (or better, use the Raspberry Pi Imager)
  • Enable ssh (either manually or creating a file called ssh on the boot partition)
  • ssh into the Raspberry Pi and run bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh) and select the Developer/Master branch
2 Likes

On a blank system it doesn’t work :frowning:
Reproduced all the steps but after reboot the Pi is booting up in terminal.

EDIT: After Downgrading Python to 3.5, and creating the ansible folder with mkdir, the installtion runs through. Til the next error.

In every run the installer don’t get the rest of the line “sudo pip install” line, and reports an error.

With this error meanwhile, i have no clue at last. EDIT2: lsb_release is messing where it should be…

Looks like there was a bug in the installation script. This has now been resolved. Sorry about that.

With regards to lsb-release, that should already be available on Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS. What version are you running? Regardless, you can just install it (apt install lsb-release).

Hello,
I have installed today screenly OSE on the Pi 4 ( Raspberry Pi OS Lite) by runing bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh) and select the Developer/Master branch.
It works for images and websites but not for videos (the video is in the active assets but on the display it is black).
Do you think I have to download Raspbian Buster Lite ?
Thank you

With manual installation of lsb, the script runs through and the viewer started. Thank u very much.
But Screenly-server looks a bit weird:

no possibility to set displays etc…but the assets are running.
EDIT2: The WLAN Access Point doesn’t start up as planned. So there is only the possibility of wired updates for it.

Yeah this is expected. We haven’t been able to add this in yet. It requires a fair bit of refactoring.

Hi, I installed Screenly OSE on a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB RAM manually on Raspbian Lite. As suggested I took the Master Branch and it works properly.
But I am not able to get WIFI working. I read that the Service for the AP is disabled, but when I configure WIFI on my own it doesn’t work, Has anybody an Idea?
Or should I deny the network option on installation.

EDIT:
I installed Screenly again and denied the “Manage your network” Option. Now it works!

1 Like

What is the current situation for installing on a Pi4. I have tried using Raspberry Pi Buster and runing bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh) but this hasn’t worked with either the development or stable installations?

I have rPi 4 model B rev 1.2 and I installed the current release of raspian 64bit lite (bullseye) and when it boots I get kernel panic…

yikes.

Gonna try “legacy” edition (32bit) which uses buster.

well I installed legacy edition of raspian okay. I set up the wifi so it always connects and I enabled ssh. I followed instructions above and I got pretty far, but there were timeout errors when the installer was trying to reach docker related stuff. I have a screenshot which I will try and post.

when it rebooted, I saw the screenly splash screen, but then it went blank and has stayed that way for a long time. I tried webbing to it on both https and http and it does not respong on the default ports. I am able to SSH to it, so that confirms I have the correct network address.