How do I set a password in Screenly on the new Raspberry Pi4?

On the last 6 Screenly OSE installs we have lost the ability to add a password. In the past we went into Settings and it was an option, to name the unit and set the password, but this is no longer an option. Is there a way for me to add a password after the software has been installed on the Raspberry Pi?

1 Like

Do you mean the password for the pi user?

Yes, we used to be able to set it inside the Screenly interface by selecting settings, but it is no longer an option.

~WRD0000.jpg

The first thing you need to do is to get to the CLI. This can be done either via SSH or by connecting a keyboard to the Raspberry Pi and pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1. Then you enter the login credentials. As you know the username is pi. The default password after a new installation of RaspiOS is “raspberry”.
After that you can access the configuration interface with “sudo raspi-config”. There you choose the “System Options” and then you can change the password.
If you have chosen the way with the keyboard, you can quit the CLI with Ctrl + Alt + F2.

I hope I could help you with this.

@KellyL , are you sure this was for the user pi? I think your initial question refers to the Authentication of the Screenly system, not the actual pi user… can you confirm which is the question, and it would help if you could post a picture or screenshot along with the confirmation.

1 Like

I have the same question, I believe. Oddly, on one of my versions of Screenly when viewed from URL has horizontal BLUE bars with the words “Screenly”, “settings” and “system info” in white text. …this BLUE version does NOT allow me to set “authentication”; there is no option.
Another screenly viewed via URL is CHARCOAL horizontal bar with “Screenly”, “updates available”, “integrations”, “settings”, and “system info” in white text; this CHARCOAL version allows "authentication. Please help me identify what I am dealing with, please.
THANKS!

@CChuck

So you dont see the same as this screenshot shows?
Please post screenshots so it can be easier to help…
Also, if you have older versions of screenly OSE then you should upgrade to raspbian bullseye and latest version of anthias because supporting legacy/old versions is very limited…

1 Like

Thank-you! BTW My updates and upgrades (via sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade -y) don’t seem to change anything that I can tell :frowning:(
Do I need to do approach updates differently? Also, what is with the color diffs?
Best!

Downloaded latest version of Raspbian bullseye lite. It runs what I need it to run, but is still displays the limited “blue” version of Screenly page I posted earlier. ??

So you downloaded the latest version of Raspbian Bullseye Lite from the raspberry pi website, and flashed that into the SD card, and when you booted into it and typed the bash <(curl -sL …) install script for Screenly/Anthias, this blue web GUI is what you get when you access it via the IP on the browser??
I think there is something you are not doing properly, so maybe post step by step what you are doing, and posting outcome of running cat ~/version.md from console to see what version you are really using…

1 Like

Hi,
Did you download the Bullseye version with the name “2022-09-22-raspios-bullseye-armhf-lite.img” ?
If not, you can download it here:

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_lite_armhf/images/raspios_lite_armhf-2022-09-26/2022-09-22-raspios-bullseye-armhf-lite.img.xz

And follow my steps here:

Screenly OSE do not display after installation - #13 by kinhadthu

BIG THANK-You, All!
One of the last versions I installed (i’ve tried so many!) must have been the non-lite Bullseye. ?
Currently installing Bullseye 22-Sep-2022 lite version and following kinhadthu list of instructions.

NOTE: More often that not I am entering commands to my Raspberry Pi B+ V1.2 via SSH. Can using SSH be an issue?

Fingers Crossed and Thanks again!
UPDATE: error when installing Screenly …

No SSH is perfectly fine, that is how almost all of us who manage Pi’s connect to it.

Sorry from your screenshot I dont know the exact error, it is kinda hard to see all.

I think you just need to follow one set of specific instructions that should work just like I write because if it works for me the exact hadware and exact step by step, then you must have a bad SD card or one of the steps is not being followed.

Step 1: Download Raspbian OS Bullseye Lite 64bit
Step 2: Flash the image to the SD card using balenaEtcher
Step 3: Once you have the Pi user set up via console, set up the WiFi via configuring it with sudo raspi-config , and locale etc, then enter the bash install script:
bash <(curl -sL https://install-ose.srly.io)
Step 4: If installation completes without errors, say Yes to reboot, if after reboot you get a black screen with no Splash screen giving you the IP address, type in this command in console:
./screenly/bin/upgrade_containers.sh

Report back with pictures… if you have any issues and you followed these steps then you might have a bad SD card and can’t really help.

1 Like

Um, yes!
Update: I have a new SD card and a different Pi B+. …re-re-installed Bullseye lite via Balena. Now Pi Screen has yet to get beyond the multi-colored rainbow “cube” …-doesn’t like “2022-09-22-raspios-bullseye-arm64-lite”
…works with “2022-09-22-raspios-bullseye-armhf-lite”…
BTW my Pi is on hardwire not Wi-Fi
…installing Screenly via bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh). (Yes install, no manage network, no update)
…still installing Screenly…
Warning : Platform Linux on host local host is using the discovered Python interpreter at …
Fails trying to install Docker :frowning:
““Dependency failed for Docker Application Container Engine””

Thank you, this worked. I did not notice this option in September, but it is definitely there now. Thank you!

Rainbow cube? did you install balenaOS by mistake?
Please show me a picture of this rainbow cube.

At boot, all my viable builds flash a LARGE multi-colored cube for a half-second then continue to load. Using ““2022-09-22-raspios-bullseye-**arm64-lite”” stalls on the cube and never proceeds. :frowning:
…still experimenting…This A:M. I installed full 32bit Raspberry Pi (RP) on SD and am attempting to install Screenly OSE to SD via SSH entering “bash <(curl -sL https://install-ose.srly.io)” …Screenly says it installed and without errors but I dont’ see Screenly anywhere.???
…now attempting to Install Screenly OSE now using “'bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh)”" …once again, RP boots to RP “desktop” not Screenly OSE. …searching to see if I can tell RP to boot straight to OSE via sudo raspi-config.
Cannot access RP via URL/IP at all-errors out site cannot be reached. -as if OSE is not installed/active.
…erasing.
…still experimenting.

When you installed Screenly OSE successfully, did you try to restart and use the command ./screenly/bin/upgrade_containers.sh
to get packages pulling from repositories ?

Hello!
RE: “did I…” . No, I did not. …not familiar with that input. …will enter that immediately.
THANKS!